DONATE

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Awakening My Israel Gene


Ben-Gurion International Airport
 

Imagine having a known heritage stretching back thousands of years. Norma Zager recently traveled to Israel. Norma is Jewish so she got to experience the exhilarating feeling of coming to Israel and knowing who she is and the struggles and victories of the Jewish people.

[Norma sent a huge amount of photos of her Israel experience. I am including many but not all. Sorry about that Norma.]

JRH 10/28/18
In this current state of media censorship & defunding, consider
chipping in a few bucks for enjoying (or even despising yet read) this Blog.
*************************
Awakening My Israel Gene

By Norma Zager
Sent October 28, 2018 12:39 AM

For a writer, knowing you have to write something can be a mixed blessing. The urge to fill a page with gleaming rhetoric and prolific phrases can be quite motivating at times, and yet…there are other times when it can be downright intimidating. It is with much trepidation I begin this piece.

By all accounts there should be a million words rushing forward to describe my first trip to Israel. So much seen and felt, a lifetime of expectations achieved.

As a baby boomer I shared the experience with my fellow boomers of filling coin-cards in Sunday school with a clear understanding of our responsibilities toward the modern Jewish State. Our nickels and dimes would plant forests and help Israel grow and prosper. It was as natural to us as breathing, and we held a vested interest in this historical effort.

So recently when I found myself walking out of the plane and stepped foot on Israeli ground for the first time, I was both emotional and strangely at home; not quite certain what or how to feel. Although waiting in line to get through customs tested my ardor, I remained in a sleep-deprived coma of disbelief that I was actually standing on sacred soil.

It took the entire 70 years or Israel’s existence as a modern country for Norma to finally arrive


When my friend Ari showed up at the airport and we headed to his cousin’s home for Shabbat dinner, it felt so natural I really did not think anything unusual about the evening. Yes, I thought this is Shabbat in an Israeli home, but the table filled with every food you could possibly imagine and the warm entreaties to eat, eat, eat seemed as familiar as the sunshine.

Shabbat Meal


Having the good fortune to have my friend Ari along on my journey made the experience more unique. His American-Israel dual citizenship affords him a perspective I could not achieve. I see and feel American, he both. I gazed at a landscape in Tel Aviv and saw what reminded me of Central Park South, while he saw the IDF GHQ offices in the building where he had served.

Still I waited to feel the explosion of excitement I was certain would arise and overwhelm me, but it was all so normal, it felt odd.

The next morning after I had checked into my hotel in Jerusalem, I began my day with an Israeli breakfast. No lack of calories here. My first response was that I was having one of those diet dreams, as I perused the endless buffet of items from eggs, salads, breads and cheeses to cereals, desserts and pastries as far as the eye could see. Aha, I thought, thank Goodness I brought elastic waist pants along.

After I had ingested enough calories to sustain me for a month, I headed for the Old City and the Western Wall, or as I continued to refer to it from my childhood, the Wailing Wall. I was corrected many times by Ari who reminded me we are not “wailing” any longer, thus the name no longer applies. Yet feeling certain I would be wailing at the wall, the moniker felt appropriate.

I traversed cobblestone streets past endless cubicles filled with Jewish and Christian paraphernalia, as Arab merchants shouted pleas to enter and buy and then insults when I did not comply with their wishes.

I wandered until suddenly in front of my eyes was a flight of steps leading to the Wall. I numbly moved ahead uncertain how or if I would feel.

Standing at the top of the steps leading down to the wall is a panoramic view that is at once breathtaking and quite surreal. Is it real or a picture? Am I really here or simply watching a video taken by a friend who had previously visited?

I descended at a snail’s pace, staring at the wall, waiting for the emotional rush I had always expected and envisioned, but instead there was numbness, almost disbelief akin to shock.

I grew closer. When I got to the wall I placed my hand upon the ancient stone expecting a charge of electricity; still nothing. I prayed and attempted to place my prayer into the overflowing crevices in the wall, then backed away dropping down onto one of the chairs. I stared for some time then walked up and prayed again. It was very hot and I was feeling grateful to be in the shade when suddenly a river of emotion washed over me. I fought it back, afraid I might flood the entire area with a river of tears.

This is how I managed my emotions the entire trip, holding back tears refusing to go to a place so deep inside it might overwhelm and consume me totally.

At the Wall my friend Chaya met me to take me to her home for Shabbat lunch. She and her husband Ronnie had made Aliyah to Israel over 14 years before. Walking in the Old City like a Jewish mountain goat and arriving alive without suffering a heart attack from what seemed like thousands of steps and hills seemed like a miracle, but of course I was in the place where they happen regularly, so why be surprised?

Sharing an incredible Shabbat meal with friends as though no time at all had passed, I felt blessed. I was feeling blessed every minute, every second I was there. Yes, there is a lot of food, we are Jewish, it is who we are so get over it.

I did not absorb all the emotion until I returned home and finally allowed myself to open the floodgates. Being there and close to tears most of the time, I needed to process what I felt.

Was it that I was a Jew coming home at last?

Being welcomed at Yad VaShem


 Was it walking through Yad Vashem and channeling the cries and pain of my grandmother and aunt in the camps or wading gleefully in the Dead Sea?

At the Dead (“Salt”) Sea “I am healed!”




Was it standing on a mountain overlooking the ancient city of Jericho that Joshua had fought to capture, but now had been given away so we could no longer enter without risking our lives?

Was it a sense of pride gazing over palm trees and orchards at what my people had created in a desert?

Or the sight of Jerusalem from Mt. Scopus? Swelling with emotion and pride and a tie to the past that tugs at one’s heart so profoundly?

Our visit to a solar company creating products to light and modernize Africa?

The Temple Mount as viewed from Mount Scopus 


The incredible work in Tel Aviv’s tech center including a new tiny module that can see for the blind?

Was it a sense of loss for everything that had gone before and those with whom I could never share this joyous moment?

Was it how amazing it felt to see my Christian friends tearful and overcome with emotion as they experienced the Jewish State?

Or finally understanding why there is a battle for Israel that raises such enormous emotional levels in people throughout the world?

Perhaps it was simply that inside us all there is an Israel gene lying dormant to be truly awakened when we step foot on its land. A land where history disappears and we meander through Biblical times as easily as Moses or Jesus who return to stroll beside us.

We all felt, we all shed tears, we all knew we were in a blessed place. No matter Jewish or Christian, we shared a unique bond recognizing what we were witnessing and experiencing.

Israel is real. Trite to say perhaps, but also the most real we may ever feel. Emotions are heightened and there is vibrancy, a special lens through which our eyes see brighter, clearer and enhanced somehow.

I feel especially lucky to have been able to witness that it is not just a Jewish feeling, but transcends and encompasses the human race in its entirety. The Judeo-Christian world sharing this special time with wonderful new friends from all over the world like Pucci from Manila, Monique from Jakarta, Chris now living and working in Israel, Margaret from Kenya or Sylvia from Spain; everyone on the trip felt the same emotions. Fellow travelers so anxious to engage about their own personal Israel experience.

Walking up the hills of Jerusalem, Monique from Indonesia, Norma from the USA and Pucci from the Philippines [Miracles do happen, as the emphasis is on “walking!”]

                                 
That magnetic pull of history, an ancient legacy of love, hate, war, peace and hope. We all belong to the State of Israel and the State of Israel belongs in us all.

The Jewish people inherited the right to guard and protect its borders, to defend our homeland - this amazing paradise - from invading armies as we have done so throughout our history and will continue. Seeing soldiers with innocent young faces armed and prepared to give their lives for this ancient and charismatic land saddens and warms us at once.

It is our charge and our destiny, one the Jewish people embrace with joy and rapture.

We do not visit Israel; we all go home to Israel. Once you understand this, you really never leave her borders.

And may we all say, “Next Year in Jerusalem!”

“I AM COMING BACK!” “NEXT YEAR IN JERUSALEM!"



More photos  from Norma Zagers time in the Jewish National Home Land:

An Ethiopian Israeli preparing a Hungarian baked specialty inside the Carmel Market in Tel Aviv, where several years ago a homicide bomber blew himself up for 70 virgins in heaven


 About to enter the Israeli Parliament, the “Knesset"
 



With colleague and “partner in crime” Ari Bussel, where the President usually receives official guests


A show inside the David Citadel


Walking toward the opening reception with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu


Norma Zager with Nitzan Chen, Head of the Government Press Office:  “I must take a picture with Bibi, a Jewish Grandmother cannot be stopped!"


The following morning, “Did you see the front page of the J Post?”
PM Pledges to Appoint Israeli Envoy to Christian World


“Bibi’s Fan Club" - breakfast in Israel 
From Kenya to the UK, Canada to Indonesia

__________________
This is the latest in the series “Postcards from America – Postcards from Israel,” a collaboration between Zager, award-winning investigative journalist and author, and Bussel, a foreign correspondent reporting from Israel.  The series, now in its 11th year has been transformed to a radio program, “Conversations Eye to Eye,” “The Jewish Voice on Christian Radio."

Ari Bussel and Norma Zager collaborate both in writing and on the air in a point-counter-point discussion of all things Israel-related.  Together, they have dedicated the past decade to promoting Israel.

© Israel Monitor- October 2018

First Published October 28, 2018
Contact:  bussel@me.com

No comments:

Post a Comment