DONATE

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Minorities Rights Journalist attacked in Pakistan


Intro to ‘Minorities Rights Journalist attacked in Pakistan
Edited by John R. Houk
By Shamim Mahmood

Shamim Mahmood (Masih) is a frequent contributor to this blog reporting on the Islamic Supremacist persecution of Christians in Pakistan. The plight of Christians in Muslim dominated areas of the world tend to get more publicity of Egyptian Muslims persecuting Egyptian Coptic Christians and the mega-brutality of Daesh (ISIS) murdering or enslaving Christians in the Syria/Iraq part of the Muslim world. Yet, Pakistan brutalizes Christians on a near state sanctioned level with the Blasphemy Law is often used as a method of Muslim/Christian retribution more than a blasphemy (according to Sharia Not Free Speech) actually occurring.

Knowing that Shamim’s journalism takes place in a hostile situation, I often post his requests for support from Western sources. To those of you that use Pay Pal for such contributions, it will not work in Pakistan. You will have to use a direct money transfer from your bank to Shamim’s bank. The least expensive method I have found is using Western Union for a wire transfer of money. Western Union will exchange your nation’s currency into Pakistani Rupees for you.

Here is the standard info that I share with readers that links to Western Union with Shamim’s info for the wire transfer:

SUPPORT Shamim’s Christian advocacy in Pakistan. First contact Shamim in case he has found an easy way to donate. I like to use Western Union sending money with this LINK to the destination of Islamabad (Contact Shamim in case he has changed cities). Shamim’s email is shamimpakistan@gmail.com, Western Union may ask for Shamim’s phone - +92-300-642-4560

Shamim’s submission below brings to reality the danger he faces as a Human Rights Activist and Christian journalist in Pakistan. If my meager efforts failed to interest you in being a supporter of Shamim Mahmood (Masih) at least consider a one-time contribution and share Shamim’s need with your friends and family.

JRH 7/26/17
*****************
Minorities Rights Journalist attacked in Pakistan

By Shamim Mahmood
Sent 7/26/2017 5:21 AM

Shamim Mahmood (Masih)

Dear Friends, Greetings, I hope this email will find you in your best health and spirit. I am writing this email with a heavy heart and in an alarming situation prevailing around. I hope many of you may be aware of that since 2010, I am working as a journalist and as long as I fulfill my official responsibilities, I’ve been writing on persecution and minorities’ rights in Pakistan. Especially after Gojra incident, when eight Christian family members were burnt alive including two children and dozens of the houses were set ablaze on blasphemy allegation. Since then I devotedly writing against unlawful killings of the Christians especially in the Punjab province and persecutions.

Living in Pakistan as member from the minority segment, is too hard and it became more difficult when you raise voice for your rights. But living in the same society I keep writing on and facing problems on a routine basis. Now this episode of attack has shaken me and my family. Let me tell you the story.

On Saturday late evening, when I was travelling towards my house in my car, unknown assailants opened fire on me that hit the car. The bullets hit my car but I managed to escape. Earlier I was being beaten for writing on minorities issues after Youhanabad twin Churches bomb attack in 2015, by two unknown motorcyclist as a result my left arm was fractured and motorbike damaged.

It was about 2130 hours, on July 22, when I was on the way back to my home on my car Suzuki Bleno, while driving the nearby street to my house, I noticed that something hit hard on car, I was shocked and scared and managed to escape. On reaching the house, I found the dent of bullet fired on the car”. “I was as scared as it was first time that somebody attacked me and soon after parking the car and went inside the house. Next morning, I took one of my colleagues and a relative with me visit the nearby police station and filed an application narrating the whole episode. But no FIR was registered, he added.

Suzuki Bleno and close-up of bullet dent

After writing a story “Qadri Supporters have becomepolitical power, claimed Sheikh Rasheed[Link provided by Shamim. Updated 7/27/17] I received threatening phone calls. But thought of usual matter as it is routine matter for me receiving such type of phone calls for writing on minorities’ issues and rights as Pakistani citizen.

It is pertinent to mention here that it is not the first threat as journalist I am facing. There are number of threatening phone calls and even harsh words exchanged with some religious extremists which has become a routine matter for writing on rights of the minorities, especially Christians. But the latest episode is unique which made my whole family worried as my wife is asking me to leave this profession, which I cannot at any cost. Though this incident has put me and my family under constant threat but I believe that God wants me to write for His people even if under stress and strain. God will take care of it.

I know that my credibility and objectivity rest on my ability to be proactive in highlighting issues revolving religion and victimization of religious minorities.  What has alarmed us is the fact that authorities do not extend any help or support.

After this incident, I planned to shift my rented house as the landlord advised me to evacuate the house. Since I am paying Rs. 21000/month in house rent, to hire a new house requires to pay at least three months advance and some other shifting expenses required to settle down at new place. At the same time, I need to look for a new school for my children studying in Grade 10, grade 6 and grade 2. My oldest son has recently passed his Secondary School Examination and is looking for college admission.

I am poor but passionate Christian journalist and hardly making the both ends meet, it would be hard to meet the expenses required. In this situation, if any of you can support me to shift to another house and schooling of my children. I would be highly grateful to your contribution.

The total cost required is approximately $2000/ U.S., including shifting and schooling of the children. If you would like to contribute please note down the bank details or you can send your contribution through Western Union.

SUPPORT Shamim’s Christian advocacy in Pakistan. First contact Shamim in case he has found an easy way to donate. I like to use Western Union sending money with this LINK to the destination of Islamabad (Contact Shamim in case he has changed cities). Shamim’s email is shamimpakistan@gmail.com, Western Union may ask for Shamim’s phone - +92-300-642-4560

Bank-to-Bank Money Transfer

Account Name: SHAMIM MASIH, Account Number:  PK72ABPA0010025935800015
ABPAPKKA (Swift code)
Allied Bank Ltd. Sitara Market, Sector G-7 Markaz, Islamabad
Contact Number. +92 300 642 4560

Yours in Jesus,

Shamim Masih
_________________
Edited by John R. Houk
All source links are by the Editor

© Shamim Mahmood (Masih)


No comments:

Post a Comment